Job Description and Qualifications:
• We are looking for an experienced reporter to cover education issues in the Mississippi Delta, based in Clarksdale, Mississippi.
• Candidates for this position should have 3-5 years of experience, and experience covering education is preferred.
• Respond quickly and accurately to breaking news, filing reports on multiple platforms as the action unfolds. Follow with fresh angles on news of the day.
• Balance daily journalism with enterprise projects.
• Consistently generate creative ideas for stories and multimedia presentations.
• Possess basic photography, video and audio production skills, as well as the ability to use mobile devices to generate multimedia content.
• Understand metrics and analytics that affect coverage. Ensure content is optimized for search engines and social medial sharing.
• Ability to interact with readers on various social media such as Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
• Report and write accurately, understand journalistic ethics and procedures, and be proficient in AP style.
• College degree in journalism, public policy or equivalent study is preferred.
What You’ll Get:
• The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to Mississippi’s FIRST nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
• Competitive salary and benefits package.
• To work in a culture with passionate, creative, diverse and dedicated teammates to create and grow the organization.
How to Apply:
• Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, a resume, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with Reporter II in the subject line.