Mississippi Today is hiring a Product Engagement Coordinator who will enhance our site and create and manage products to help strengthen and market our brand.
Since 2016, Mississippi Today has been an innovator in nonprofit, nonpartisan news in the Southeast. At Mississippi Today, we believe good reporting and the accountability it inspires can change the trajectory of our state. Our mission is to foster civic engagement and public dialog through service journalism, live events and digital outreach. Our newsroom is dedicated to providing Mississippians with reporting that inspires active interest in their state and equips them to engage in community life.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for Mississippi who can help promote and market our organization’s mission and membership program through design and product development and delivery. You will have the opportunity to help grow and diversify our readership through monthly newsletters and special programs, such as our Mississippi ExPats Project, and design products, ads and branded merchandise to create new lines of revenue to support our editorial mission of telling Mississippi stories that have long gone unreported. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress and Mailchimp is preferred, and any experience in voice search and AI is a plus.
You will report directly to the Web and Engagement Editor and work closely with our audience engagement team on strategies for creating more brand awareness for Mississippi Today as the go-to source for news and information.
- Create branding for guides and special sections and design promotional graphics
- Design products, merchandise and additional resources for readers that can be monetized
- Manage design and delivery of on-site advertising campaigns, as well as ads promoting Mississippi Today internally and externally
- Responsible for regular posting and scheduling of content that promotes our mission, programming and membership campaigns on Mississippi Today’s social media platforms
- Monitor a social media ad budget
- Help create strategies for delivering content on social platforms
- Maintain and moderate all Facebook Groups, including those dedicated to engaging with the Mississippi ExPats
- Curate, coordinate and schedule newsletters
- Look at metrics and insights to inform product updates and list growth for Mississippi Today’s suite of newsletters
- Create graphics for all newsletter products
- Use multimedia and design elements to present stories using the WordPress block editor
- Use best practices to increase on-page reader engagement and recirculation to improve reader loyalty
-Search Engine Optimization:
- Use SEO to inform audience-first content
- Attend regular SEO trainings and calls to make sure SEO practices are in use
- Focus on user experience as it relates to our site and content platforms
-Audience Growth & Engagement:
- Develop strategies to grow and engage the Mississippi ExPats community
- Create text conversations through our texting line and create meaningful follow-up strategies
- Work with audience team to send out web push alerts
- Use Apple News and other third-party aggregators to share our news
- Assist on all promotion and communication related to membership and events
This role is a fit if…
-You are committed to Mississippi Today’s mission and vision, with deep love for Mississippi and a passion for a better trajectory for our state. You have a strong conviction in journalism’s role in democracy to provide accountability, information and access.
–You have a strong desire to work collaboratively, both within the audience team and across departments.
-You are self-motivated. You aren’t afraid to take small bets to see if a project or product can succeed. You are flexible and adaptable. You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. You cope effectively with complexity and change.
-You have solid organizing and planning skills. You plan, organize, schedule and budget in an efficient, productive manner. You focus on key priorities and do not get lost in the details. If this is not your core strength, you (a) know this and (b) have built teams around you to support you in your work.
-You take the work seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously.
What you’ll get:
-The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to Mississippi’s only fully staffed, nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
-Highly competitive salary with medical insurance, and options for vision and dental insurance.
-Cell phone stipend.
-29 days paid time off.
-Up to 12 weeks parental family leave, with return-to-work flexibility.
-Simple IRA with 3 percent company matching. Group-term life insurance provided to employees ($15,000 policy)
-Support for professional training and attending industry conferences.
How to Apply:
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people who are differently abled.
We are currently reviewing applications. Please submit applications by filling out this form. The deadline to submit applications is Wednesday, July 22, 2020.
Questions may be directed to Lauchlin Fields, Web & Engagement Editor, at [email protected].