Job Description and Qualifications:
- This position will enhance Mississippi Today’s ability to tell stories based on data through multiple digital platforms, create data assets of value to our readers and provide new ways to engage readers.
- The data manager will create and manage databases, scrape data from websites and other sources and develop best practices for working with data so that reporters and editors are able to use statistics effectively and accurately.
- Obtain, scrutinize and analyze government data, commercial information and social media content to build searchable, interactive databases.
- Candidates for this position should have 3-5 years of experience in data analysis.
- Respond quickly and accurately to breaking news, supplying data that amplifies reporting as the action unfolds. Follow with fresh angles on news of the day.
- Compile custom data sets that support enterprise and investigative stories that hold institutions and leaders accountable.
- Produce multi-platform digital content out of data sets. Ensure content is optimized for search engines and easily shared on social media.
- College degree in journalism, public policy or equivalent study is preferred.
What You’ll Get:
- The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to Mississippi’s FIRST nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- We have a modern office environment with plenty of natural light with an office-wide view of a beautiful wooded area.
- To work in a culture with passionate, creative, diverse and dedicated teammates to create and grow the organization.
How to Apply:
- Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, a resume, examples of databases which you have created or projects to which you have contributed to [email protected] with Database Manager in the subject line.