Small fire sends some state employees home

A small electrical fire at the Robert E. Lee Building in downtown Jackson sent employees of 12 state agencies home early on Tuesday. The fire, sparked by faulty elevator wiring around 9 a.m., was contained to an elevator maintenance room and was quickly extinguished by officials. Employees are expected to return to the building Wednesday. “The quick action of the Capitol Police today diverted what could have been much worse,” said Laura Jackson, executive director of the Department of Finance and Administration. “We’re thankful the occupants responded immediately and no one was hurt this morning.”

The Robert E. Lee Building, a state-owned building, was built in 1930.