Mississippi Today journalists won numerous honors in the 2022 Society of Professional Journalists’ Green Eyeshade Awards, created to recognize “the very best journalism in the southeastern United States.”
In total, nine Mississippi Today journalists won or placed in categories against the Southeast’s digital news outlets, featuring reporting published in the 2021 calendar year.
Six Mississippi Today journalists took home top honors, earning first place in several categories:
- Reporters Will Stribling, Julia James, Geoff Pender and Bobby Harrison collectively won first place in the “Deadline Reporting” category for their thorough coverage of Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban going before U.S. Supreme Court.
- Editor-in-chief Adam Ganucheau won first place in the “Political Reporting” category for a broad collection of political coverage in 2021.
- Sports columnist Rick Cleveland won first place in the “Sports Reporting” category for his series on the Greenville Christian football team’s 2021 success.
Other Mississippi Today journalists placed in several other Green Eyeshade Awards categories:
- Reporter Bobby Harrison placed third in the “Serious Commentary” category for a collection of political analyses published in 2021.
- Sports columnist Rick Cleveland placed second in the “Sports Commentary” category for his column about Rusty Thoms and the Mississippi State baseball winning trip to Omaha in 2021.
- Economy & jobs reporter Sara DiNatale and photojournalist Vickie King placed third in the “Business Reporting” category for their piece on how Mississippians were affected by the $300 unemployment check ending.
To see a full measure of the impact our journalists continue to have on Mississippi, read our 2022 Impact Report.