Job Description and Qualifications:
Product/Web Developer and Designer:
- Working within the WordPress management system, craft innovative user experiences via the internet while maintaining Mississippi Today’s brand identity.
- Design and implement responsive layouts across all platforms, facilitating ease of use and extended user engagement.
- Collaborate with editors and reporters to tailor multi-media presentations and performance to maximize the impact of the content and promote sharing among readers and other media organizations.
- Use consumer analytics to guide improvement of site design and functionality.
- Ensure proper functionality of Mississippi Today’s site across all platforms at all times in concert with the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN).
- Identify and resolve operational issues in web/mobile applications.
- Identify and implement best practices to increase click-through and capitalize on SEO.
- Evaluate various analytics to track digital traffic and reconfigure story play to take advantage of trending interest.
- Edit, format and upload photos, video and graphics for publication on various platforms.
- Monitor other news websites, blogs and social media for breaking news and trending topics.
- Serve as a resource for all in-house digital production needs and work with front- and back-end web developers and IT staff to solve publishing problems.
- Candidates for this position should have 2-5 years of experience with web development or design.
- College degree in journalism, public policy, information technology, marketing/communications or equivalent study is preferred.
What You’ll Get:
- The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to Mississippi’s FIRST nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- We have a modern office environment with plenty of natural light with an office-wide view of a beautiful wooded area.
- To work in a culture with passionate, creative, diverse and dedicated teammates to create and grow the organization.
How to Apply:
- Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, a resume, and examples of past web development work you have done in the past or projects to which you have contributed to email@example.com with Web Developer/Designer in the subject line.